Will the growth tip of a pole bean regrow?

rtogioApril 21, 2013

Hey everyone!

I've got a question for all the gardeners with experience in pole beans out there. If the growth tip of the pole bean is broken off, will the plant regenerate it and start climbing again or will it stop growing upward?

I ask because this morning I found the tip of one of my bean plants had been bitten off by some bug.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rxkeith(z5 MI)

depends on how big your pole beans are. if they have multiple leaves then you will have new growth leaders generate from the leaf joints. just give them some time. if they are brand new, and all you have left is a stem, then they will remain a stem.

keith

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 5:26PM
fusion_power

Depends on whether the cut point is above the cotyledons or below. There are some really old varieties of beans that were cultivated by letting the runners get about 2 feet tall, then cutting the tips off. The remaining part of the runner would set a new growing point at each leaf axil with the end result of a huge plant with very high production.

DarJones

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:56AM
mandolls(4)

I had the tops snipped off quite a few of my pole beans by a bird last year. They were about 8" tall, and there was a leaf or two still on the plants afterwards. Most of them did put out a new growing tip. It really slowed them down though.

Damn bird just went down the row pruning them - didnt eat them as the tops were laying there the following day.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 7:06AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Did the birds eat the cotyledons.

Jim

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™