any reason not to use pole limas in 3 sisters?

cabrita(9b SoCal)April 20, 2009

My understanding (and some experience) indicate that the choice of squash, corn and beans should be such that they can be harvested at the end, as flour/meal corn, as winter squash, and the beans should be good for shellies or dried beans rather than snaps. Looking at my collection I rather use the P vulgaris pole beans I have as snaps, since I also have quite a few limas that are not good as snaps. I need to select a legume for the little 3 sisters garden I started. Right now I have hickory king as the corn and candy roaster as the squash. The squash has sprouted and the corn is still less than 1 foot tall (maybe a few are one foot now). I have never grown limas as pole beans and I was wandering if there is any reason I should not make them climb the corn. Any good/bad experiences?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

I haven't done a three sisters garden yet, but plan to this year. I plan to use several beans, probably including White Willow Leaf pole lima.

I will not use King of the Garden, another pole lima, because it has very heavy growth and would probably be the first to blow over. I wouldn't worry about the White Willow Leaf though.

Jim

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 7:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cabrita(9b SoCal)

Thanks for the feedback Jim. I have the following 3 types of pole limas:

Christmas limas - pole
Carolina -pole (white seeds, small size, they look like baby limas), and
Butterbean limas - pole.
(my fourth variety is a bush lima)

Any experience with any of these pole lima varieties? my guess would be that the baby lima (Carolina) might be a smaller plant since the seeds are smaller? I will probably try that one unless someone reports having problems with it abusing the corn too much. I will update the thread reporting what happens. Jim, please tell us what happens with your combination too!

I was going to play it safe and just sow one bean per corn stalk, or should I do more than one?

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™