How much do LED lights cost?

californianFebruary 6, 2011

Just curious how much an LED light setup would cost that puts out as much light as a two tube four foot fluorescent shop light that one could buy for $10 plus $5 for the bulbs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjetski(6b NJ)

Californian,

I'm going to link a thread started by a well known pepper grower, he uses a $300 LED product which he claims is good for 4ft x 4ft coverage for vegetative growth, but if you want pods then it's only good for 2ft x 2ft coverage. He grows plants to sell btw, so i don't think he could afford to waste his time on something that didn't work...in my humble opinion anyway.

4ft x 4ft is pretty good coverage to get seedlings up to a marketable size imho.

He claims he uses the "Illuminator UFO 5-Band Tri-Spectrum": http://www.amazon.com/Illuminator-5-Band-Tri-Spectrum-Grow-Light/dp/B001J9SYW2

Here's the thread where he discusses it: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19960-ajs-february-2011/

(you'll need to copy and paste those links to another browser window obviously)

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 11:39PM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

Too much. Not worth ever geting a LED in the next 5 years.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 2:27PM
khyberkitsune(Redlands, CA)

Not worth getting? Proper ones are so efficient that I use them exclusively in my own home for tobacco, peppers, tomatoes, tendergreen bush beans, herbs, and much much more. Payoff time? A year and a half.

But I have the advantage of being a researcher with a lot of access to a lot of information.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 5:52PM
zathras

Good call MasterG, don't waste your money on a commercial light for at least 5 years. But DO spend your money on LED's and build your own - they are worth the expense and trouble.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 4:37PM
capoman(5a)

I use a 120 panel costing around $300 as well. I also combine it with T5 HO's which as this time seems to be a good combination. I have had many successes, however I have also had some failures usually due to water or pest issues, not light problems. It does take some getting used to though, especially controlling the amount of light falling on a plant. Young plants definitely don't like to be too close.

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 2:38PM
rayleich

That depends on what kind of led lights you need!

Here is a link that might be useful: rayleich.com

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 5:29AM
More Discussions
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
Greens stunted, please help
Hello, I've been trying to grow salad greens with a...
kate104
Question about MH lights?
I have access to a lot of 400 watt metal halide lights,...
wertach zone 7-B SC
bulb question
I put a 75 W Philips Bulb - 120 volt- (Agro-Lite BR30)...
ellenr22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™