Bearded Iris in pots?

frances_in_nj(z6 NJ)July 15, 2011

Hi - I have some bearded iris that I need to move (getting swamped by other plants/not enough sun.) However, the bed I want to move them into is not prepared yet. Right now, I can't prepare the bed because of a hand injury and too much else to do. So I was thinking I would dig up the iris and pop them into pots (much less labor and time consuming than preparing a whole bed, and much easier on my hand.) Then, if my hand is better and if I have time to prepare the bed this fall, I'd plant them out then. Otherwise, I would winter them over (by burying the pots in my veggie garden) and then plant them out next spring. Could somebody comment on this, does it sound like a good plan? If so, should I plant the rhizomes on the surface of the pot, just like one would in the ground? I have certainly seen iris blooming in pots in garden centers, which is what makes me think that this plan might be workable. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madeyna(7/8)

It never works for me because rot always sets in but my mom seems to get away with it. Use really well draining soil if you do choose to pot them up. If your in a really wet area of the country like I am then adding alot of drain rock to the bottom of the pot would probly be a good idea.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 12:35PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I agree, pots should work, if they have good drainage. Sinking the pots in the ground might cause them to not drain as well though, imho.

The main thing in our zone, is that they are planted early enough in the fall, to put down good roots that will anchor them from heaving with the many freezes and thaws in the winter. I have planted too late before and learned my lesson when they heaved.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 12:42PM
jeanrichter(9 (SF bay area))

I've sometimes had rot issues with irises potted in garden soil (most likely from poor drainage). When potting them myself, I always use potting soil (something like Supersoil works fine).

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 2:56PM
svanessa(9/SoCal)

Why don't you just dig them up, trim the leaves to ~6", dust off the soil and store them in a cool dry place until you can replant? They can be planted into the Oct timeframe with no ill effect depending on your zone. I bought iris in May last year and didn't plant them until Oct/Nov 2010 and for the most part they all bloomed and are all doing well.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 10:03PM
madeyna(7/8)

A well placed landscape staple will keep them from heaving or pulling the rysom out of the soil when in bloom.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™