soak B4 planting...?

vieja_gw(z7NM)April 16, 2013

I have always soaked the bean & pea seeds (new seeds) overnight before planting them but this spring after I planted them in the garden they do not sprout ... am confused as why they are not doing what they have always done previously? Maybe need more time? I dug down & don't see any have sprouted yet after a week in the already warm soil!

We never have much of a spring weather here.. goes from winter soon into hot summer so I try to plant the bean & pea seeds early & soak first to jump start them! I planted the green & yellow pole beans.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drloyd

Peas tolerate soaking overnight and can easily be sprouted before planting. This year I did not bother but just planted dry seed in early March. They did fine.

Here in the PNW my soil temperature may not reach 65 F until July so it is necessary to sprout beans for best results. Some of them will tolerate soaking overnight but many varieties find that a shock and the cotyledons crack. Most beans will tolerate 4 hours soaking followed by rinsing and draining several times a day.

Possibly the best way is to mix the seeds in potting mix in a tray or pot. If you use a pot, allow room for swelling - Dick

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vieja_gw(z7NM)

I checked the (this years date on the package) seeds in the ground & none have sprouted yet after nearly two weeks been in the 8o's & a 91 degree so soil is warm & I keep it moist after planting. Guess I will try again by planting directly nto the soil w/o soaking first to see.. Never had this happen before!

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™