Trying to decide on what lamps to use for my grow light

countrygirlinthecity(5b - 6)February 13, 2013

I currently have a hydro farm grow light running t12's with 5200k and 800 lumens. The light fixture can support t8's, which I want to switch to. I'm going to buy another fixture and am researching the differences between bulbs. I understand for starting veggie seedlings indoors (tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc.) I need 5000k to 6500k. I see that there are aquarium lamps that give a broad range. I'm looking at one with 6500k trichromatic full spectrum, daylight 5000k full spectrum, or the average GE bulbs with 4000 to 5000k. The only reason I'm looking at aquarium bulbs vs the grow lamps is price...and it seems the aquarium bulbs have a broader color spectrum. What I have now works, but since its all I've ever used, I don't know if there is a better option or not. My purpose for the light is to start the seedlings on average 4 weeks prior to planting. I'm interested to hear what others have done or suggest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

I use T8 daylight bulbs and the plants grow just fine under them. The most important thing is how close to the plants the light is. Mine are less than an inch away from the plants.Look up T8 light output and you'll find it does have more colored light output than the old fluorescent lights have

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 5:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eircsmith

Thanks "countrygirlthecity" for sharing this thread. It's an knowledgeable thread for us.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 4:25AM
More Discussions
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™