Purple/Blue/White/Pink Iris Suggestion for My Backyard

jmcdmdJuly 13, 2013

For one portion of my backyard, I'm looking to plant the same single iris plant in different areas. My backyard colors are within the red, pink, purple, blue portion of the color spectrum....along with white.

I don't want anything too tall because of the tendency of the blooms to "fall over" in this clayish-type soil.

I'm curious to read your ideas.

I'm leaning toward the Dyke's winner "Everything Plus", but I'm open to other ideas.

Of course, I'm not ruling scattered groupings of the same 2 or 3 iris....so long as they would blend in with the color scheme.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aseedisapromise

Sometimes its hard to suggest things without knowing the rest of the story, so to speak. There are iris that are white, but some are bluish white and some are yellowish white, and they will look different depending on what they are planted with. Sometimes the bluish white ones can look sort of gray with the wrong companions. Everything Plus is nice and would be harder to figure out what would look good with it if you wanted to have a couple of iris together. I have Princess of Paradise which is sort of similar, and I have it planted with a dark purple NOID historic, Tom Johnson, and a orange iris, so not your color scheme. Some iris grow better in different parts of the country, and so it would be good to ask around where you are to see what grows well in your area. There are a lot of pink selections, and they range from orangy pinks to purpley pinks, and you might want to stay away from the orangy, coraly pinks depending on what else is in your garden. I saw a big bunch of Cherub's Smile at the Blue J gardens, and I thought it was really pretty, and isn't too peachy. I think a dark iris would be nice with the Everything Plus. I have Superstition, and it is a tough iris.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 6:13PM
sherryaustin(9b)

I haven't grown 'Everything Plus' (yet), but the iris in my garden that looks good with *everything* is 'Classic Look'. I've got it with peachy roses, dwarf pine, purple berberis and more.. It always looks sharp and clean and I never get tired of it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:33PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I second "Classic Look" or perhaps for a few more ruffles "Rare Treat".

If you want a great rebloomer, plant "Recurring Dream." It blooms four times a year for me.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 1:16AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Another great rebloomer that is short is "Mariposa Autumn." It blooms like gangbusters. I like it because it goes well in the front of a bed.
Here is is at the end of November.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Coral Point - 2nd iris open
Our record breaking heat 4 days ago must have pushed...
irisgal_z9
Mystery irises
We bought this house three years ago, and there is...
puglogic
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Sponsored Products
Chadwick Polished Nickel 8-Inch LED One Light Mini Pendant
$250.00 | Bellacor
White Valencia Pintuck Sham - Euro
Crane and Canopy
Zuo Dean Adjustable White Low Back Office Chair
Euro Style Lighting
Adams Rustic Bronze Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Frosted Glass
$35.99 | Bellacor
Bover | Urban 02 Ceiling Light
YLighting