Lady Pea, Rice Pea

mauirose(11)April 10, 2009

Rats!! i dithered and dallied too long and now the lady cowpea and rice cowpea i wanted to try are both SOLD OUT!!

i did a quick google search but didn't see anyone else selling them. Thinking about posting on the seed exchange forum but the chances of finding a trade seem small. Maybe i just have to wait until next year?

Are these good cowpeas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Matter of taste and opinion. Lady is a small white pea. I like them as a change of pace, prefer White Acre in that class. Rice peas are just too small for my uses. Baker Creek carries both, but currently are out of stock. Must be a lot of people planting southern peas this year. I got mine early and there appeared to be plenty at that time.

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 5:42PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

I have seed for the "Red Rice Bean" (pea) carried by Baker creek... but I'm with Farmerdilla. They are pretty small. Good for short-season areas like Wisconsin (where I am) & in Canada, and high yielding - but in Hawaii, you have much better choices available.

For cowpeas, you might want to try "Whippoorwill", "Zipper Cream", "Red Ripper", or "Pinkeye Purple Hull". Be happy to help with sources, if you can't find any through the Cornell site (see link). I also have a variety from the Philippines that should do well in Hawaii, contact me through my member page if interested.

You could even grow the real rice bean, Vigna umbellata, which will only grow in tropical areas... a real monster of a vine, with yellow flowers. The non-profit ECHO (in Florida) sells the seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 12:36AM
mauirose(11)

Thank-you both!

Don't know much about cowpeas except they should grow well for me here. i have a few 'Big Boy' cowpeas i received in a trade and some 'Red Rice Bean' on the way. Guess i'll plant those and see what happens. Next year i'll start early ; )

Thanks for the link Zeedman!

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 2:01AM
More Discussions
Tiger Toung beans.
I found this bean in Baker Creak seed catalog,and sure...
dons916
Italian Rose bush beans.
I have some italian rose beans. Can they be grown in...
Desirai
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Sponsored Products
Crisp Dinnerware
Home Decorators Collection
Rosle Silicone Locking Tongs - 9"
$33.00 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Courtyard CY6115-218 8' x 11' Beige, Sweet Pea Rug
$312.00 | PlushRugs
Contemplation Lady Canvas Wall Art
$426.80 | Bludot
Triple Dancing Lady Silk Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com