Fla. Zone 10 - lily recommendations

daviedearest(z10 FLA)January 2, 2008

Coming from N.Y.I am needing help with lilies that will do well in this zone. I live in Cape Coral (s.w.fla) & have been attempting a cottage garden with good sucess so far.Would love to add lillies & like everyone else would like as much bloom & color over our season as possible. need not only recommendations but planting schedule also .Anyone out there from Fla.? I sure could use your help...this is a real learning or should I say re-learning experience. As if that not enough I have a southern exposure......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

True lilies are unlikely to thrive in the heat and humidity of Florida. But you can certainly develop a lily-like effect using members of the Amaryllidaceae or the amaryllis family. These would include crinums, aztec and oxblood lilies, amaryllis and rain and spider lilies. Some will even provide fragrance.

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 10:33AM
kayman

Gardengal's right that not many could be expected to thrive. About the only exception I can think of is longiflorum (and perhaps similar white trumpets like formosanum), one of whose common names is the Bermuda lily from when it was grown there commercially.

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 3:14PM
daviedearest(z10 FLA)

Garden girl, you've given me a lot to work with, I can't wait to start checking them out.....
Kayman, the Bermuda sounds as if it might be a good bet for a tropical climate.....thanks for your help.
I will certainly report back when I have some success.....

Bookmark   January 12, 2008 at 9:41PM
krazyjorge0424(10B South Florida)

I live in south florida and I have asiatic lillies that keep coming back every year now they are under my roses which is almost complete shade, but the do come back bigger. I dont know what variety but its an orange with a pale scent and its not oriental

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™