Stringless Snap Beans

maupin(z6 So. IL)April 11, 2008

Every year I plant snap beans and they have strings. I just don't have the time to string the volume of beans I plant.

Can someone recommend a truly stringless pole snap bean with excellent flavor for fresh eating and freezing? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

I love Rattlesnake... they are so prolific and so tasty.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 8:23PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Almost any bean will develop strings, if not picked young. The "filet" beans develop strings more slowly than most, so if you can't harvest every day, they might be your best choice. "Fortex" and "Emerite" (pole) and "Nickel" or "Maxibel" (bush) are some varieties worth trying.

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 10:35PM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

What kind of flavor do you like in beans? Some people like them sweet, others "beany" like Kentucky Wonder, others like the Romano beans. Maybe you could name some varieties you have liked for flavor.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 9:33AM
rob-grower

i am trying the lazy house wife bean this year it is suppose to be stringless but i don't know.if anyone has grown this bean please tell me how it turned out.does it have a good flavor and how long are the vines.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 11:47AM
maupin(z6 So. IL)

I settled for Blue Lake Pole.I find I don't like to grow Bush beans of any variety. THanks for all the ideas guys.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:33PM
beartracks25

I am looking for a stringless bush bean in my aera some people called it Lazy Wife bean,tried Lazy Wife but it is no kin to what I want , the bean that I want has a round or oval seed and a very beany taste, it is also a bush bean. I have had this bean before but lost the seed.the folks that gave me the seed have passed away and I do not know the exact name or where I can get seed. anyone have any ideas. thanks beartracks25@hotmail.com

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™