CFL Daylight 6500*K Question

yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.February 23, 2013

I have a grow light plant stand with a shoplight with 4 T-8 daylight deluxe bulbs that appears to be working ok for my vegetable seedlings waiting to be set out when weather warms up.

But I have two artichoke plants that I bought that are 1-1/2 feet tall and will not fit on my growlight stand. I have another shoplight that I can use but I am not sure about the bulb. It is a compact fluorescent 65w daylight 6500*K. Will that work to keep my artichokes healthy until the weather warms up. About 4 weeks. It is 3600 lumens

This post was edited by yolos on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 15:27

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hi yolos,

Well, I don't really know how much light artichokes like but assuming they're like most vegetables they probably need to be under at least 10,000 lux to grow well.

Your CFL bulb does put out quite a lot of light (3600 lumens). However, considering the size of your artichokes, the light may have to be farther away than normal, in order to cover a good area of the plants. It's just hard to tell. If the light was kept about 6 inches from the plants, I think they would be receiving about 12,000 lux. That sounds good but then you have two plants. I doubt if that one light could adequately cover enough area. If you had two of those CFL's I think they just might do the job. Just too much guess work from here; you'll have to be the final judge of course.

Not much help I know, but no one else was answering your post so I thought I'd at least give you my humble opinion :-)

Art

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

Thank you Art. I do have two of those lights so I will try that.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™