My first full beans

shuffles_gwApril 8, 2014

I will be harvesting full beans for the first time soon, Snowball from Bill Best. Supposedly Snowball is very similar to Lazy Wife, but I didn't have any luck with Lazy Wife last year. How long will it take to cook them? I am guessing about a half hour at a low boil or simmer. I don't want to mess up our first batch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

So far I have tried Blue Greasy Grits, Tobacco Worm, Tennessee Cutshorts and a couple more as full beans. I just steam mine over boiling water, as to how long, maybe 10-15 minutes.

Annette

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 6:03PM
shuffles_gw

Annette, 15 minutes is much less time than I would have thought. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 6:23PM
drloyd

I like full beans best as the pods are turning yellow. It takes up to 40 minutes to steam them.

I do not see Snowball on Bill's site - Dick

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:23PM
shuffles_gw

Dick, I got the Snowball seed in a swap with Bill Best a couple years ago. This is the first time I have planted them.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 11:27AM
shuffles_gw

Snowball beans picked today - dinner tonight.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 1:33PM

YUM those look soooo good, as I mentioned above the varieties I've cooked as full beans only took 15 minutes give or take a few minutes, depends on the individual varieties, and the water was boiling before I started. Other kinds might take more time, do a taste test after 10-15 minutes, this should give you an idea how long these ones will take.

Annette

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 1:47PM
shuffles_gw

Thanks Annette, I'll keep taste testing them as they cook. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 2:13PM
drloyd

I am sooooo jealous!!

40 minutes is for a large pot that typically contains corn and other vegetables and it is starting with a cold pot and cold water. - Dick

This post was edited by drloyd on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 17:00

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 4:53PM
shuffles_gw

We ended up cooking them for 30 minutes. Only a few of the shells fell off and the beans inside were still fairly firm. They were very tasty. My wife liked them so much she want's us to grow a lot more next year.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 3:03PM
drloyd

Shuffles, thank you for the report. Was that 30 minutes from a cold start or from boiling water?

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 9:08AM
shuffles_gw

Dick, from hot. I cook with only a little water in the pot, so it is very similar to steaming. One of my sisters always fills the pot with water when cooking veggies.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 3:43PM

I've always done mine in a steamer basket over boiling water, I wonder if that makes a difference or if it's the variety.
In the off season I've bought green beans from the supermarket that are still tough after steaming for 20 or so minutes, other times they are tender after 10 minutes, so hard to plan when to put them on to have them just right when everything else is ready. I wouldn't bother buying them but I just have to have my bean fix at least once a week and I never have enough of my own to freeze.

Annette

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:16PM
drloyd

That would be similar to what I do. I have a large pot with a steamer rack and a quart or more of cold water under the rack. I put the pot on the heat about 40 minutes before expected meal time.

I assume that Snowball has strings. Would you consider them to be a short or long season bean?

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 5:20PM
shuffles_gw

Oh yes, Snowball beans have strings! They took about 80 days from planting to picking. It looks like they aren't going to have another flush. Next year, I plan to succession plant them.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 8:36AM
drloyd

I do plan to do succession planting of Aunt Jean's this year with a first attempt started in pots about May 1. Hopefully frost won't get them. Then another round about July 1.

Snowball looks like a winner like so many Appalachian beans. Can you grow a fall crop to mature after it starts to cool off? - Dick

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 9:05AM
shuffles_gw

Dick, my garden usually doesn't dry off soon enough to plant fall pole beans. I tried some in containers last fall, but the white flies got them.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 12:04PM
Joshua Belcher

@shuffles_gw, I would love to have some snowball seed. I can't find any available online. Do you have any seed for sale?

Bookmark   last Sunday at 10:49AM
shuffles_gw

Joshua, I have some that I saved from last year. I could send you some. Maybe you have a good shelly pole bean you would like to swap? Send me an email.

Bookmark   last Sunday at 11:08AM
Joshua Belcher
I've never raised any shellys, but I do have some cutshort beans with brown seeds and some white Hastings I would love to share.
    Bookmark   last Sunday at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
New raised bed garden
I'm creating a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Storage System for Bean Collection
Hello, London Seedy Saturday was yesterday and besides...
LoboGothic
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™