Seedling heat mats

karen_b(6a s.c. PA)February 21, 2005

I am new to starting seeds indoors using a seedling heat mat, I bought the heat mat and the automatic thermastat. I have the setup in the basement which is around 55-60 degrees. The thermastat states that if the heat mat stays on for more than 5 hours at a time to add something under the mat to hold in the heat. Any suggestions?

The setup: Sunlight table growlight, 4' L heat mat on top of the growlight base (the base is partially filled in with ceramic tile because the mat is larger than the base and doesn't fit inside the base). I put a cardboard box over the trays (because the seeds need the dark to germinate).

Thanks

Karen_B

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Bubble wrap, expanded polystyrene sheets, corrugated cardboard, even a blanket or a folded bedsheet.

Bookmark   February 22, 2005 at 8:39AM
wyndyacre(z6B SW Ont.)

I have flats of cuttings that I'm rooting and also some flats of seeds on heat mats in my unheated greenhouse. The temp of the GH is in the 80's on a sunny day but dips down pretty low at night. I've placed the mats on a sheet of rigid styrofoam, the flats with clear dome lids on top and at night I go out and cover the flats with several layors of burlap (a blanket would do just as well)which I remove during the day. A few cloudy, cold days I haven't bothered to remove the burlap. I should add that my heat mats came with a thin plastic tray that they sit in as well, so they do not sit directly on the styrofoam.

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 6:36PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

Thanks for your ideas, the flats are supposed to be kept in the dark so I covered them with cardboard boxes and now the light on the thermostat has gone out. Apparently it didn't need much. Thanks, I will remember all of your ideas.
Karen_B

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 10:16AM
george102(z6-7 VA)

I have a problem with TOO MUCH heat from a mat. I have three altogether, two of them some years old. This morning I discovered that one of the older ones had gone wild and heated a flat planted with lobelia, candytuft and carnation seeds to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Of course, I've moved the flat to another mat. My question: have the seeds been cooked beyond germination? They've been on the bad tray for 48 hours.

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
High Output CFL - worth using?
Hi all. Assume I won a tiny lottery <g>. My current...
andyinnyc
grow spot light
If i use a really low beam angle led grow light can...
surixurient
LED Grow Light for Peppers and Tomatoes
New to the forum here and not sure where to post this,...
jyi1234
Will these grow anything?
For a school project we decided to do an experiment...
MrBlubs
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
Sponsored Products
Forged Iron Single Panel Fireplace Screen
Signature Hardware
Meridian Black 42-Inch x 84-Inch Blackout Window Curtain Panel
$19.95 | Bellacor
Seedling by thomaspaul Dahlia 20" Wide Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Floral Copper Wall Art
$595.00 | FRONTGATE
Real Flame Frederick Chestnut Oak Gel Entertainment Fireplace
Overstock.com