Planted my Shreiners iris-Ist Timer

gigim(8A SC)July 29, 2013

Got my first ever order from Shreiners last week and got them in the ground yesterday. Followed the planting instructions that came with and what I had read from the American Iris Society.

Wondering about watering - I know there are so many variables to consider but can anyone give me some guidelines to follow for the near future - should I keep them moist or let the ground dry out between waterings ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

I suggest that you keep the ground damp while they get established. Especially if it is hot where you are located.

They don't like to be soaked all the time, but until they get some roots grown and down into the earth, they will need to be watered more frequently.

My established irises seem to be perfectly happy when I am a bit stingy with the water.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 6:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Most people suggest watering once, then letting the ground completely dry out. Do not keep them moist if it is hot and humid out or they will rot. I live in Southern California, and I only water my new irises once a week, if that, and less in truly hot, humid weather. The rot problem is why so many irisarians suggest potting new irises up and growing them in partial shade for the first two months until fall weather comes. I'm too lazy to do that, but I did save a rhizome that had begun to rot once by cleaning it up and following that advice, and it grew much better than my other new irises.
Renee

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™