Can an iris change color?

jazzygardener(z4 MN)July 9, 2010

I planted a gorgeous iris last year that had striped leaves. However, when it came back this year the leaves were plain green. What happened?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_z7(OR)

NEVER! It is like saying that humans can change colors.
What has happened is one of two things, either overcrowding and the more dominant one took over and killed the lesser one, or seeds developed somewhere and either dropped in your garden or critters including birds will bring them in and drop them in.

Hope this helps.

D

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 11:17AM
chere(7)

The leaves can change to sold green if it doesn't get enough light. I have had this happen on other variegated foliage. I also have had the flower shade be lighter or darker depending on how hot it was when it bloomed. Navajo Jewel last year had no hit of blue because it bloomed when it was hot, but this year it was a very light shade of blue because it bloomed before our hot weather hit.

Chere

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 6:26AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I imagine the variegated gene is still in the rhizome, and that the next set of leaves may be striped again if it gets the right light. Sometimes whole branches of a variegated shrub will revert to the solid color, for some reason. Maybe it's the same with irises.
Renee

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Transplant
Had LA Irises clumping and dug 'em up to replant, but...
George Indel
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™