Type of Lilies for hawaii?

jscuFebruary 9, 2006

Hi! Can anyone tell me if there is a lily that can grow in lowland Hawaii? I saw lilies in Lowes yesterday but the gardening expert couldn't tell me if they would grow here in Kihei. The types that were for sale included Asiatic, Oriental and Day lilies. I adore lilies and am hoping I can get advice from you. Thank you. Jenny.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eswin(z5 MA)

check out the FAQ....it depends on how cold you get in the winter...likely not very in lowland Hawaii, I expect.
It sounds like you many need to lift and refrigerate at least some of your lilies. I know there are species lilies that come from more tropical regions which may work for you. L. formosanum comes to mind.

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
improve2

If you have an adversion to home shopping networks you should rethink....QVC has a fantastic range of lilies that are all grown in your area. I bought many different kinds and even I haven't killed them. I potted and planted them. The name is Roberta's. They have the most unique lilies I have ever seen and you can't get them here in Virginia. Check it out they're georgeous!!

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 5:43AM
More Discussions
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™