replant lillies?

stytchidFebruary 2, 2013

I have a flower bed along the front of my house with Easter Lillies planted in it from years and years ago. They're very resilient and bloom every year (though sometimes they yield many flowers and other times they don't); they're spaced about asymmetrically about 4in to 2 feet apart along the bed and I'm going to put roses in the same bed towards the south end. The main cluster of lillies is in the north end and I want to move the bulbs to the north end altogether so the roses have room. Now some bulbs are huge (6" diameter) with bulbettes and all have green leaves about 3' in length but my main concern is can I move these now to replant? I've read that you can move the bulbs no problem. In prepping the bed for the roses I discovered my olive trees have thick roots running through the bed and in removing a major root, some of the lily bulbs were disrupted from their places. Each bulb has white roots already established. So can I go about moving them now towards another area of the bed and if so, how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
interspecific(5)

If you're going to move them, you should do it now while the weather is still a little 'coolish'. There will be transplant shock but your bulbs are so large they should contain plenty enough stored energy to see them thru the move. For those plants that are still in the ground, try to move them as a clump. Try to keep all the roots intack but if you cut or break a few, don't worry, the bulb will grow new ones. Plant all the large bulbs at the same depth they were before. You can tell that by the color of the old stem. If you discover new little baby bulbs along the way, plant those in a new seperate group about twice their diameter deep. Because of the adjustment required by the move, your plants may flower a week or two later this year. Also, flowering is hard on a plant so if some plants look distressed when they bud out, it's best to cut the flowerhead off just above the leaves. That way the energy normally used for flowering will be stored back into the bulb for next years growth and many more flowers.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Moving uprising Asiatic lilies
My lillies are in a pot and I want to move them under...
Cathy Cokley
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
Lily of the Valley issue
I have an old patch of lily of the valley in front...
scutterbotch
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
Sponsored Products
Marigold Table Lamp
Lightology
Cooper Classics Lilly Glossy Red Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Uttermost Floating Water Lillies Hand Painted Art
Beyond Stores
Lille Red Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Hand Tufted Rug
$414.95 | Bellacor
Lillie Lamp
Grandin Road
Algreen 22 in. Self Watering Modena Rattan Planter - Mocha - 14104
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. Single PC Tulip Peach Glass Solar LED Light
$22.38 | Home Depot
Accents Borders & Trims: Daltile Flooring Lillis Matte Ivory 4 in. x 16 in.
$4.30 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™