Which way to plant beans?

sheryl77April 1, 2013

I've been told that the way to plant beans is with the belly button side up. Is this correct? Apparently the plant and roots both come out there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

I pay no attention to how the seeds are oriented. They seem to sprout just fine no matter which way they land.

Jim

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:49PM
mcleod(8a)

Never heard of such nonsense. Just think of the hundreds of thousands of acres of beans planted every year and all those farmers making sure they are placed just so.
For that matter there isn't a seed I've planted over the last forty years that ever cared which way it landed as long as gravity is down and light is up.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:22PM
afishlady(8b)

I recently read in a gardening book to plant the "belly button" or "eye" down. So, I did a tiny experiment when I planted some of my beans this year. Planting the eye pointing up seemed to delay emergence by a day or so but germination was fine overall. However, mcleod's point is well taken. Commercial farmers can't plant zillions of beans by hand. They will do just fine whichever direction they're pointed. Impatient gardeners like me with small gardens might take the time though to plant eye down. :)

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™