Sugar Snap Pea leaves drying up

mocheeApril 17, 2009

Hi everyone! I am new here and a relatively new "balcony" gardener :)

About 2 months ago (late February), I started sowing sugar snap peas inside the house. The yield was great, all of them turned into shoots. And I planted all of them into pots outside (4 peas per pot, about 8-inch pot). The weather has been more towards the cold side lately (no more than 75 degrees and sometimes dips to high 30s). The balcony gets a lot of afternoon sun.

My peas have been growing well until recently. Then, about 2 weeks ago, some of my peas started to have shriveled, dried leaves! I water them usually once a week, more if the soil is dry when I poke my finger into the soil. I planted the peas in Miracle Grow potting soil (with some food already in the soil).

I wondered if I may have over-watered them? But I just watered the peas two days ago and by this afternoon, the soil was so dry I added more water.

Please help, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I read online that peas like water but others also have said not to overwater. I'm not sure if my peas are dying because of lack of water or overwatering. I wait until the soil is dry before watering.

I'm sorry I have no pictures, I can't seem to know how to post it here yet. If I can figure it out I'll add some later :)

Thank you so very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

Did you harden them off before setting them in the sun? When did you move them outside and when did the leaves start to dry?

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 11:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Netuser99

The same thing is happening to mine; however, they are inside and have not/will not transplant. Any advise? THanks!

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™