Is this an iris?

KellyQSkier(6)July 17, 2014

I saw this in my (unattended) back garden when we bought this hoise ten years ago. Based on the fan leaves, I assumed it was an iris that didn't have conditions to bloom, and didn't pay it any attention. Then this year, it appeared twenty feet away in my flower garden. When I looked at the root area more closely, it doesn't appear to be a typical Iris rhizome... Any one recognize it? And, is there any reason I should not just rip it all out? Since it jumped, I am assuming it is an invasive plant... (BTW, I do have dozens of lovely irises planted by the prior owner!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Does the fan look identical to your other iris fans? Do you allow the beardeds to form seed pods?

It looks very much like an iris from your picture. If it is a seedling bearded it will form a rhizome.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:35AM
KellyQSkier(6)

My nearby iris plants havent bloomed in quite a few years... I have just started to re-claim that area of the garden. But I do have a few bearded irises that have bloomed, and I do not always remove the spent flowers, so they may have produced seeds.

The leaves do fan much like an iris, but they seem floppier, and droop over a bit, where even the long-neglected irises are firm and tall. Maybe they are just younger plants. I will follow their growth.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 3:34PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

It looks a lot like my Iris tectorum. However, it is more likely to be I. cristata, a native iris (the two species are related) Just a guess, but either would be interesting additions.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:14PM
pdsavage(5/6)

my black berry lilies kinda look like that.
They are a Iris, here is more pictures of them in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberry Lily Database

This post was edited by pdsavage on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 7:35

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:30AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

It does look to have a creeping stalk like I cristata, and that type Iris doesn't bloom without sufficient sun, which considering it's a woodland species is surprising. That's why most colonies only have a few to no blooming plants.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™