Dykes?

mikescJuly 29, 2012

Isn't the Dykes Medal usually announced in mid-July? Anyone have any ideas about this year's winner?

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irisrover(9 CA)

The voting deadline was changed for August 1. Winners probably won't be announced until after August 10. Likely to be between Florentine Silk and That's All Folks, with the former the favorite.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 1:42AM
mikesc

Florentine Silk has never done a thing for me here in SC Zone 8!

Mike

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 5:02PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I have heard that a lot- but it appears that many people vote based on prettiness rather than garden-worthiness, despite the rules. I think 'That's All Folks!" is spectacular. The form of the iris is always good too. It performs well here in Southern California. I have not heard that about Florentine Silk. But it sure is pretty!

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 6:04PM
aseedisapromise

Florentine Silk didn't look very happy at Blue J's, either, at least not the one that I noticed. I had to look up That's All Folks!, and it is really something. Well, we'll have to wait and see. We can always "vote with our pocketbooks", as they say.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 11:02PM
mikesc

Yes, the weird thing is that both FS's parents grew reasonably well for me. I don't have "That's All Folks," but Mr Maryott is such a nice guy (have dealt w/ him re: daylilies) that it would be nice to see him win a Dykes!

Mike

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 4:01PM
wieslaw59

Based on performance in my garden, more than 75% of Dykes medal winners since 1960 should not be awarded ANY medal, let alone Dykes. The list of varietes that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING before dying is impressively long. Just to mention a few: New Moon, Kilt Lilt, Mystique. Terrible rotters: Jesse's song, Silverado, Mary Frances. The list of performers is pretty short: Dusky Challenger, Song of Norway, Stepping out, Amethyst Flame, Victoria Falls, Before the storm.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 5:22AM
More Discussions
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™