Taking seedlings outside--when is it worth the effort?

ellieandethansmom(7)February 16, 2005

We have been having some nice weather and I have set out a few of the seedlings and propogated plants that I have overwintered.

I bring them out into full sun for a few hours then bring them back in when the temp starts to drop. This isn't the easiest of chores and today I wondered, does this 'real' sunlight (4 hours about every 3-4 days) help them grow better than if I were to keep them under shoplights? Does this make any difference or am I just wasting time and ruining my carpet by tracking in mud?

I am nowhere near ready to harden anything off, this is just intended to give the lil' guys some good food. Just not sure this is worth the time/effort??? Any info is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

If it is big job for you, I would just leave the seedlings under fluorescent lights a bit longer.

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 10:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Four hours of sunlight is almost certainly better than those four hours under your lights, but I don't think its exactly make or break difference if its only every 3 or 4 days. Four hours of sun every day would be a big help I'm sure for those greedy annuals.

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 6:06AM
More Discussions
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
HELP!..Possible Indoor Pepper growing probz!
I have a few questions regarding my pepper plants at...
Bobby Cooper
When to replace lights?
Hi, I have a 3-shelf cart with plant lights. I mostly...
frances_in_nj
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™