buds turned brown, never flowered

terriebariJuly 26, 2008

Hi

I have several irises in my garden. Some have never bloomed, others are absolutely stunning.

This year, I had one that got really big and healthy-looking, and grew two buds. The buds turned brown and I never got flowers, just dead looking brown tips. I did not overwater- in fact, there is another iris right next to it which gave me about 6 gorgous, gigantic blooms.

Now that some time has passed, the once healthy looking stem and leaves for the plant that never bloomed is starting to look kind of yuck.y The leaves are brown in some spots, and it's droopy.

Should I cut the fan back, and hope for the best for next year? What else should I do/not do?

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

Are they brown and mushy, or just dried and brown. Brown and mushy usually means rot. I had a couple of Iris buds not bloom because there were some unusual cold spells in late April / early May this year that killed the forming bud.

Carlos

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 10:01PM
terriebari

honestly, I'm not sure. I don't think they were mushy initially, but I didn't touch them so can only go by what I think I saw.

Right now, some of the greenery is droopy and some turned yellow. will trimming it back hurt it?

thanks

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 11:04AM
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

Drooping leaves is usually associated with overcrowding. How long ago did you plant them? Iris need to be divided every 3 to 5 years. As far as trimming, I usually just trim leaves that are unhealthy or simply pull them off, provided the leaf is next on the base of the rhizome.

Carlos

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 4:43PM
terriebari

My entire garden is new. I believe I planted year before last

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™