Irises in Rock Garden?

janes_gardenJuly 28, 2009

I would like to create a rock garden of irises. The garden size is approximately 10 ft x 10 ft. I would like to plant iris bulbs, leaving a large enough hole for growth, and then sheet mulch (using cardboard) the unplanted areas and then cover the sheet mulch with rocks. Since irises usually spread, my guess is that the sheet mulch and weight of the rocks would prevent spreading. Would this harm any of my original irises? I haven't started the project yet. Thank you. Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Yes it would if they are beardeds. It is their nature to spread. Sort of like putting a rock on a child's head to keep him from growing?

If you had a large enuf area per bearded cultivar and faithfully divided every 3 years, rejunvenating the soil at that time, you could have success. It's recommended to plant tall beardeds 3' apart.

Your idea will work with clump-forming iris like Siberians.

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

Why don't you make a rock garden with other things in there as well? Then when the irises are not blooming, you will have other lovely things to see in the rock garden---small daffodils in early spring and so on. Irises can look pretty ratty in midsummer.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
LA Irises
Started with 4 Iris Bulbs about 4 yrs. ago - noticed...
George Indel
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™