My rain lily grew a new stalk

gardenper(8)March 20, 2014

I had only 2 rain lilies last year, and kept them in some very small pot with regular dirt (not even potting soil). I did this since I didn't know much about them yet and it was more like growing to see if I'd like it or not.

Turns out that I do like them, and they actually overwintered in the garage without losing any leaves, so there didn't seem to be a particular dormant period where I might repot or replant them.

However, this year, I see the beginnings of another stalk coming out near the parent. Not sure if that would be another bulb or stalk from same bulb, but it's good that now there will be at least 3 flowering stalks.

Pretty happy about that, as well as knowing that they might naturalize well if planted out in the yard somewhere.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

I got some as a freebie with a bulb order, but never got around to planting them. Still feel guilty! Sometimes I do kill stuff, but usually after I at least TRY to help it grow. It looks like they are not hardy in my zone, though, so would have not survived for long anyway.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 12:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

Yes I'm sometimes disappointed with the hot temps we get in spring and summer but at the same time, having mostly non-snowing/non-freezing winters means I don't have to do as much for plants that some other regions have to do.

Turns out this particular plant sent up at least 2 more single blades of leaves, so I'm hoping there are at least 3 baby rain lily bulbs.

I'm almost scared to replant it somewhere because then I'll might forget about it and not know which one he is, compared to the other plant that so far is still only having the parent's leaves showing up.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™