Is it time for limas yet?

macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)May 8, 2008

My pole beans and bush beans are about 3" tall now. The temps for the next 10 days are lows around 50 and highs in around 70. Is it time to put in the king of the garden limas yet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

My rule of thumb is two weeks after last frost date.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:15AM
macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)

Guess it's time then. Our average last frost date is 4/20. The actual was a week or so earlier. I'll get them in this weekend. I was assuming that limas needed warmer soil but this is the first year that I'm planting them.
Thanks!

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:27AM
maupin(z6 So. IL)

What's your soil temp?

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 6:40PM
jwm1960

I've got Christmas limas up so I would say it's time to plant.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 10:20PM
mikeritchie

please help I planted several # of limas and green beans early Excellent Growth but some type of Bug is eating the tops off-- not animals Ive done the 7 dust 10 percent. THere are alot of catipalers an jap beetles. can someone help

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 4:37PM
macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh.... Probably got 10% germination rate on the king of the garden limas. I don't think it could be the soil or conditions since I got 90-100% on the rest of my beans.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 5:04PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Actually, the soil temps could be at least partly to blame, since limas need more heat than common beans. Wet conditions during germination will also take their toll. And to top things off, I noticed that when I grew K.O.G., its storage life was less than other beans.

In my Northern location, it has been an exceptionally cool, wet Spring. Soil temperatures here are still below normal, and much of the northern tier of states probably has similar conditions. We just had a late frost, 3 weeks later than normal! I don't even have my common beans in yet, and am starting limas, long-season beans, and some of my rarer common beans in peat pots.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 4:35PM
susancol(7 Atlanta)

I'm in Zone 7 here in the Atlanta area as well. I planted my Big Mama pole limas around the first of May. It has been cooler than normal here as well, but after about 2 weeks, I got 100% germination. I also used the Burpee Bean Booster to help with nitrogen producing bacteria in the soil, but I don't think that affects germination. I'm still a newbie gardener, but thought you might appreciate hearing from someone in a similar zone. My limas are all up, the first set of leaves has quadrupled in size and they are all pushing up the tendrils with the first of the true leaves. They are about 8" high, I think. I'm very excited with their rapid growth in comparison to my squashes which have been quite sluggish - due to the cooler weather I think.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 11:38AM
macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)

Thanks for the input susancol. It is somewhat of a mystery for me since I got such good germination from my other beans. I'll just get by with the ~15 plants that did sprout. BTW...I should have my first zucchini this week.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Storage System for Bean Collection
Hello, London Seedy Saturday was yesterday and besides...
LoboGothic
Strange Pea problem - predator or what?
Hi. Last year, for the first time, my healthy green...
blueskink
Italian Rose bush beans.
I have some italian rose beans. Can they be grown in...
Desirai
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
Searching for "Comtesse de Chambord"
New to the forum, and I really like it so far! I didn't...
Jean Martin
Sponsored Products
Gibbs Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Vintage High Stand Set
$169.99 | zulily
Dewdrop Pendant by Access Lighting
$150.00 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Point of Escape Jeweltone 3
Home Depot
Acu-Rite Starburst 8.5 in. Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer - 02354A2SB
$24.99 | Hayneedle