Disease problem? Or?

rosefollyJuly 10, 2008

I was doing the mid-summer pruning and cleanup of my front garden. When I got to my tall bearded irises, I patted myself on the back for their robust good health. They bloomed well this spring, have faultless, unmarked, healthy leaves, and are spreading vigorously. As I pulled off the withered old leaves I discovered that the roots of several were quite mushy. At first I thought it was just a case of too much mulch -- and that indeed may be the cause. I did see some holes in a couple of rhizomes near the stem, perhaps as large as a quarter. When I peeled off outer leaves the root under that was clean and whole. I observed pillbugs but no other kind of bug in the soil.

Is this likely to be just too much mulch keeping the roots too damp, or do I have a more serious problem? I dug up the plants that had mushy rhizomes and discarded them. Healthy looking rhizomes attached to them I also dug up and cleaned to dry, set in the shade (it's in the upper 90's here) and cut the leaves in a fan. I plan to replant them in a day or so. Several irises that looked healthy I left in place.

Please advise if I can replant in the same area or should move them to a new one. Also, do I need to soak the rescued rhizomes in a bleach solution before replanting? And ought I to remove the irises that looked okay to another spot?

Thanks for any advice.

Rosefolly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I didn't answer because I'm not experienced with rot. Had it once with one iris.

Some people would say not to replant in the same area. I say look at the soil conditions in that area. Is the soil allowed to dry between soaks? Especially in warm temps. Are the tops of the rhizomes kept exposed to air and light? Are they getting too well fertilized with a high nitrogen fertilizer? (10-10-10 is too high --- first number needs to be lower)

When you said they are looking very healthy right now, I became suspicious. Mine look rather tired now. Maybe yours are rebloomers and their appearance is different at this time of year?

The 10:1 water:bleach dip won't hurt but not necessary if you've cut away all rot and allowed them to cure a couple of days. Only give one thorough soaking after planting and wait 1 month before the next soak. This is the rule my grower friend uses in her decomposed granite "soil" and I found it works in my improved adobe soil. Her average summer temps are 90-100 & mine are 80-90.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 1:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosefolly

Iris Gal, thanks. I threw away the mushy ones, left three healthy ones but pulled the mulch off them. Three healthy ones that I dug up I will replant in another spot.

These are occasional rebloomers, but not reliable. I don't know the name but they are a deep, rich purple and the most robust irises I have ever grown, though admittedly I am not a very experienced iris person. I know what you mean about the faded foliage. My Batik irises look like that, as do my other (but different) unidentified purple irises.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Heirloom Iris
I am the Steward of a historic garden on the grounds...
benton1873
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
daves10z7annv
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
iris borers
Last year I had several iris clumps that collapsed...
auntie_grizelda
Sponsored Products
WBM Himalayan Home Spa Treatments Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Lamp (5-7lbs) 1001
$15.12 | Home Depot
CET Toothpaste Poultry - 70g CET-101 - 018VR-CET101
$13.98 | Hayneedle
Canine Cooler Pet Bed - CCL1824D
$49.99 | Hayneedle
WBM Himalayan Lamps Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Basket Lamp - Tall (9-11lbs)
$23.95 | Home Depot
Outdoor Set of Six Conceal 6"H Mosquito Repellant Candles
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Mosquito Magnet Replacement Net
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Terminix ALLCLEAR Backyard Mister with Bonus Brown Concentrate
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Capstar Flea Treatment Dog Flea & Tick Care - 004CG-61011
$39.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™