'Pigeon peas' - a new definition

flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)May 3, 2009

Lovely day here yesterday, just right for a trip to the allotment to see how things are doing. Broad beans looking good and a row of peas nicely up . But - what's this? Someone is enjoying a buffet lunch at my expense. Wandering up and down the pea row is a sleek well-nourished looking pigeon. Well, we get a lot of woodpigeons and feral pigeons but this one is way too smart. And s/he's sporting a shiny set of leg rings. Obviously racing home to the pigeon loft lost its attraction when s/he spied those delicious green pea sprouts down below. No injuries. Just taking a break. Unlike the wild birds which you can whoosh off, this one was as cool as a cucumber. Tried flapping and clapping. No response. Tried lobbing clods of earth to land near it. Useless. Eventually I poured a stream of water from my can right on its back. It just ruffled its feathers and went right on snacking. Finally it wandered off (no flying - obviously too tiring) and I quickly put some netting over the row then went off to the compost heap to do a little fossicking. I looked back at the pea row and there s/he is again, UNDER the netting. The row now has chicken wire AND netting over it. I hope the homing instinct kicks in soon. This is getting ridiculous.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruthieg__tx(z8 TX)

Great story ...Amazing the things we have to go through to get a few fresh veggies.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 8:58AM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

This is funny (very infuriating to you I am sure), I wish I could send you some of our feral cats. When I first saw the post I was thinking, why is Flora trying to grow pigeon peas over there in the UK? way too cold now if they even grow there at all...LOL

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 1:12PM
holtzclaw(z7 GA)

You should be able to use the ID on the leg bands to track the owner through local pigeon clubs.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
My first full beans
I will be harvesting full beans for the first time...
shuffles_gw
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
New raised bed garden
I'm creating a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Storage System for Bean Collection
Hello, London Seedy Saturday was yesterday and besides...
LoboGothic
Sponsored Products
Korver Leather Corner Sectional Sleeper (3 piece) - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Double-piped Chaise Cushion
Grandin Road
Lush Decor Pink 84-inch Lilian Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
MY03-05 Watch - Gold Face/Black Rubber Strap - Michael Young
$150.00 | HORNE
Joy Carpets Let the Children Come Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 1513-C
$239.99 | Hayneedle