WM sale of Oriental Lily bulbs -

jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)March 7, 2014

These are left over bulbs from last fall. They have been sitting in WM shelf for a long time and the bulbs have dried up. But they are selling at a much cheaper price.

Are these bulbs still viable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
interspecific(5)

No. Bulbs dug and marketed for fall planting must go through a winter chill to generate flowers the next blooming season and to reset their biological time clock. Also, since lily bulbs never really go dormant, only a deep rest, and since the bulbs are made up of scales that are really genetically modified leaves, chances are overwhelming the bulbs are extremely dehydrated and impossible to save. Always buy fresh, solid bulbs to avoid disappointment in the long run.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 12:45PM
gardenper(8)

I have learned my lesson about even the clearance bulbs in the same season. I tended to buy them on clearance, and some would be OK, when you buy a pack of them. But if you are buying the ones that have 1-2 items for that particular plant, it might be down and out for the count already.

This is also OK if you have a plant guarantee and keep the receipt, but I'm sure that's where a lot of people lose out also. In the end, we spent a few dollars for clearance bulbs or packages but it's still a big loss when many of them don't grow.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 11:08AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

They will be worthless. Not even worth cents. Lilies have to be stored at controlled conditions to make it over the winter. They are never truly dormant.

There ARE fresh ones going out; but I resist. I saw some at Walmart and Home Depot yesterday. Even those were dug last fall, and stored by the grower. I would only buy a lily in springtime from a reputable lily dealer, who knows how to store them for a long period of time. The price is no lower in the spring, and you are getting a compromised bulb.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Need help with Lilies of the Valley
Hello, I purchased a package of lilies of the valley...
Deb Capecci
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™