Easter lily

meg_91March 23, 2010

I was given an easter lily today, and it's beautiful! It's the first time I've ever had one to add to my indoor plant collection. There's just one problem - it looks like the soil has been soaked, and there are mites and fungus gnats in the soil. What kind of soil mix should I use to replace the dark, thick, rich stuff that it has right now, and what's the best way to get rid of the gnats and mites? I would really like to keep this gorgeous plant, so I'd like to take care of the problem as soon as possible.

Meg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Let the pot dry out - the gnats, etc. thrive on wet soils and will disappear as the soil dries. It's a lily, it has a bulb which stores all it needs... watering, overwatering not only encourages pests, it encourages bulb rot. The big box stores, grocery stores, etc. selling Easter lilies don't know lilies from lilacs and water (over water) everything the same.

After it blooms, plant it in your garden where you will have more success with it rather than as a houseplant. Let it go through its normal cycle of dying back, stem browning, etc., and it should reappear next season although not necessarily in time for Easter since it's been forced into bloom. It'll revert back to its normal growth and bloom times.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Sponsored Products
Five Decorated Easter Cookies - MULTI COLORS
$45.00 | Horchow
'Easter Greetings' Bucket
$6.99 | zulily
Design Toscano Easter Island Ahu Akivi Moai Monolith Statue - Large - NE155
$578.13 | Hayneedle
Bunny Couple Figurine Set
$59.99 | zulily
Border Concept Ceramic Easter Isle Head Planter - 32331
$109.99 | Hayneedle