Repurposed fluorescent fixture questions

derevaun(WA zone 4 / 7b)March 16, 2006

I replaced the crappy 4x48" FL fixture in my kitchen with some recessed cans and want to reassemble the ballasts and holders into a basic plant light. It's got two ballasts, each is labeled as rated for two F40 T12 RS bulbs.

I don't have room for 48" of trays & lights, so I want to use 36" tubes for 2 separate fixtures. I've found only R30 30W tubes--will they match the ballasts well enough?

Can I just mount the T12 holders and the ballast on 2x4 lumber? I wouldn't want to stunt the seedlings' growth by having the house burn down around them :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I'll take a guess that your ballasts won't work as expected on a shorter tube. Zink will know for sure.

My advice, as it usually is, is to discard crappy old fixtures and get something designed within the last five years. You'll get more light, save a bundle on your utility bill, and your plants will thank you. When you start looking for something shorter than 48", look at compact fluorescents.

You can mount your components on anything you want, the temperature of any individual piece shouldn't be hot enough to harm wood unless you start overdriving. As an extra safety step, prevent any components from actually touching the wood with suitable spacers or mounting blocks.

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 6:33AM
More Discussions
When to replace lights?
Hi, I have a 3-shelf cart with plant lights. I mostly...
frances_in_nj
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™