Mimosa Pudica Plant - Lighting/Leaf Movement

abl34March 3, 2009

Hi - I just started a Mimosa Pudica plant that is just starting to grow its first set of sensitive leaves.

I want to make sure my configuration is good and just double check some things.

I'm growing it indoors with a 60W Grow Bulb and a small table flourescent lamp - both on at the same time.

I've got a humidifier right on my desk next to the plants.

I'm also growing Oregano and Basil (the basil was purchased and seems to be failing - I water all the plants every day)(The oregano started long before the Mimosa, but they have only grown long seedlings and have yet to show additional leaf growth).

I've noticed that the starter leaves tend to open and close at certain times of the day and I was just wondering if the lights are consistent why the leaves start to fold upwards at times - is this the plant trying to tell me that it needs rest from light or that the water conditions aren't good?

I also purchased a USB coffee mug heater to place underneath the ceramic pot of the Mimosa - to encourage soil warmth and root growth. Dunno if this is dangerous - it doesn't get too hot yet - just hooked it up today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Quote:

I also purchased a USB coffee mug heater to place underneath the ceramic pot of the Mimosa - to encourage soil warmth and root growth. Dunno if this is dangerous - it doesn't get too hot yet - just hooked it up today.

Response: I have two of these I use often to start cuttings and seeds - works great for a small dab of either!

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 8:41PM
abl34

The first plant just had its sensitive leaves shrivel up and its main starter leaves get so thin that it died.

I have two more sprouting now. How do I avoid this from happening to them? Do I give it more light? Maybe more air? Less water? I used soil bought from the store.

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 3:48AM
project_gardener(5)

I have some under T5 lights that are doing very good. The lights are for vegetative growth at 5000 lumen. I have them 18 hours on and 6 off. The leaves close in the dark and open a few minutes after the light comes on. I do notice after 10 hours or so that the leaves fold up even though the light is still on. I'm guessing they are getting too much. I have them along side my hydroponics and not going to adjust the time just for them. I use topsoil I bought at Home Depot, nothing special. They are not very picky and easy to grow. They go to seed after 3 months or so. The ones I have now are from last Summer's seeds.

I had some outside in a planter last summer. I notice in the direct sun that the leaves fold up and on a cloudy day they all open. Below is a photo of them on a cloudy day.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
What are the Consequences of Leaving Lights on 24/7
My seedlings are just shy of 3 weeks old. Almost all...
kandm
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™