Asiatic and Day Lilies - Snow Prediction

newtogardening99March 26, 2009

Hello -

I have some asiatic lilies and day lilies that have emerged from the ground because teh weather was spring like a couple of weeks ago. Asiatics are about 3 inches up and Day lilies are about 5-6 inches. Now we are under a winter storm warning and they are predicting anywhere from 4-8 inches of snow. Will the lilies be ok? If not, what can I do to protect them?

Many thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

The snow won't hurt them, but extended cold (below freezing) might, especially the asiatics. The daylilies are pretty tough and will be fine. If the new growth on the DL's freezes they'll recover and put out new growth. The asiatics, though are a little touchier. If there's enough snow to cover them, they'll be fine. Otherwise you might want to throw some mulch down over them, just be sure to pull it off again as soon as possible. Again, the snow won't hurt them, but freezing temps could destroy this year's blooms. A lot depends on how cold, for how long and where they are located. Near a building could gain them a few degrees of warmth.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™