Short white iris id problem

barb_tx(z9a TX)July 1, 2011

Years ago I traded for some iris and received a short, white bearded variety. Other than LA iris this iris has been the only iris to bloom for me here on the south Texas coast. Have had no success, certainly, with any other bearded irises. The plant blooms on short stems but has a nice sized bloom. I have several plants but get few blooms (only one this spring). Did not think to get a photo of it but am trying to see if I can figure out the id of the plant. I think the trader said it was a native of Turkey but cannot remember as it has been so long ago. If anyone thinks they may also have this plant I would appreciate suggestions as to the id. Thanks, Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Hmmm. Sounds like a tough ID. No photos, huh? I think most bearded irises are from the Mediterranean region, but it is possible you have an Aril iris. You should look at the website and see if anything looks right to you.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Aril Iris Society

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 12:40AM

I don't think it's an Aril iris- I didn't see any really white ones. It may be what some people call "cemetery iris".

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 2:12AM
sylviatexas1

Cemetary iris (iris albicans) is the first or second of the intermediates or tall bearded iris to bloom in the spring, & the bloom is an old-fashioned (not fancy) one.

They are notoriously tough.

There's a huge clump of them at a long-vacant, falling-down cabin or barn between Dallas & Red Oak, the newer ones growing out of the ground on top of the older ones, & they bloom beautifully every year.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 5:50PM
barb_tx(z9a TX)

Thank you both for your replies. I believe the iris is the I. albicans. They have really been suffering down here this year. The drought is probably the reason I only got one bloom (- 7 inches of rain for the year and counting) as they have bloomed better for me in the past. These are the only iris I have been able get to survive at all. Could not even get the foliage to survive on the other bearded types I have tried since the move. Had a backyard of bearded iris up in Fort Worth so have tried several times to get some to grow.
Thank goodness for the daylily...
Barb

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 6:08PM

Barb, I'll ask my friend Walter what he grows- he's in your neck of the woods. He may be able to give me the names of a few tough survivors.
Renee

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™