Lotus tetragonolobus winged pea question

happyday(WI4a)May 31, 2008

I bought this from SSE, kinda wish I hadn't now. Looks like I might not even get pods as SSE does not mention if it is daylight neutral. Should I plant this in a hill, or row, or try to train it up a trellis? Anyone ever grow this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Yes, I have grown it. It is a low, ground-hugging plant with small, bright red flowers. I grew it one year, as a Summer crop... it did not take heat well. The plants languished all Summer; but with the cooler days of early Fall, they began growing vigorously. There was no evidence of photo-period sensitivity (as there is with its relative, Winged Bean), but they do seem to prefer cool weather.

Rabbits really liked the foliage, they ate quite a bit of it, and would probably have eaten all of it, had they not been interplanted with marigolds. The plants sprang back quickly, but the pod set was disappointingly small. I did not find the pods appealing as a vegetable; they were bland, and developed fiber very quickly. They were inedible if over 1" long.

Personally, I think the best use of the plant is as an ornamental ground cover, due to its bright red flowers.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 4:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyday(WI4a)

Thanks Zeedman. I think I wasted my 2.75 on this one. Guess I'll put squash in that hill after all, and put this in when space opens up in the radish bed...if I grow it at all.

PS I still want to try Birds Egg #3 this year, will send you a SASE if thats ok. The Ma Williams was fantastic!!!

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
New raised bed garden
I'm creating a raised bed garden in the front of the...
dbbob
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
Sponsored Products
Lotus Bath Towel - CHARCOAL (BATH 30X56)
$54.00 | Horchow
Hand-tufted Lotus Mocha Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Lotus Zinc Garden Torch with Trellis Floor Stand - Weathered Zinc
Signature Hardware
Kathy Ireland Lotus Satin Black Torchiere
Lamps Plus
Teal Lotus Tea Light Holder
The City Farm
Elk Lighting Lotus Wall Mirror - 16 in. diam. - 6050468
$70.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™