Can you pot iris?

TNY78(7a-East TN)July 20, 2013

Hello, I have four iris orders that I placed this year (about 70 rizomes total) and was wondering if I would be able to keep them potted for the time being? The reason is, after placing the orders, we decided to build a new house and I would hate to plant them and then have to either dig them up or leave them. I'm looking for the easiast way to bring them with me in about 5 months or so when the house is finished. Thanks for your help and advice :)

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

I've potted them, but on a more temporary basis (only a few weeks), but I know people have grown them in pots so I don't see why not. Scroll down to the bottom of the article about growing irises in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing irises

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 8:20PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

You can certainly keep them for a year potted. The main problems are space, food and soil temps.

Beardeds want to travel to new soil and new nutrients. And soil temps. in plastic pots in the sun get hot!

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 9:40PM
aseedisapromise

I would try potting them up and then putting the pots in the ground somewhere. This would help roots keep cool during this hot time of year. You could then just pull the pots later and move them.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:42PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Great! Hopefully our house gets finished pretty quick. I guess if it comes down to it, I can plant them along the back side of our barn which will be finished in a couple of weeks :) I'd really like to see some of them bloom next spring!

Tammy

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™