Transplanting lily house plant that has already blossomed

jneodawnMarch 21, 2008

I seem to be finding tons of good info on lilies on the net except for what I actually need to know. I recieved a beautiful pot of live lilies for Valentines Day, which have blossomed beautifully and have all dropped off since. So now I just have stems & leaves. I want to, not necessarily transplant them, but transport them in the same pot they're in (or different pots), to the outside now that it's spring. I don't want them to die! I believe they are some type of Orienpet. Instruction and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You can do so any time you like. If you want to keep growing them in a container, I'd suggest potting them up to a larger size now and with a good quality potting soil. Allow the remaining stems to brown and dry thoroughly before removing them - once they have reached the proper state, they tend to fall off anyway. Keep the container just barely moist to the touch - do not overwater nor allow the soil to dry out completely. You can also plant them in the ground at this time if you prefer, in an area that has very good drainage and is not overly irrigated through the summer. They won't do anything else this season but they should bloom for you next year, although at their normal bloom time, not Valentine's Day :-))

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jneodawn

Thank you garden gal, that's exactly what I needed to know. It's ok w/ me if they don't blossom again on or around V day. As long as I atleast get to see them again, then any season is alright with me. Thanx again.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
"boarder lillies"
I am looking for some interesting perennial choices...
posierosie_zone7a__
id for pink crinum
I am looking for the botanical name for the pink crinum...
linda_leaf z10fla
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
Sponsored Products
Pretty in Pink Wreath - 24" dia.
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Kohler Harborview White 2-hole Cast Iron Utility Sink
Overstock.com
ColourWave Fan Hose Nozzle - CW-912-FN-Y
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Dura-Trel Camelot 5-ft. Vinyl Wall Trellis - Mocha - 11140M
$73.99 | Hayneedle
Good Ideas Natural Coco Fiber Compost Additive - CC4
$29.99 | Hayneedle