watering iris

monaqquilterJuly 26, 2008

if iris are left in ground and never dug up, do they need watering during summer? or left to dry. i care for a lady that has iris beds she has cut them off after blooming, and insists they not get wet from the sprinkers. she has beautiful blooms in spring. we are in the foothills above sacramento california

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carlos42180(Z5 Chicago)

Iris should only watered when planting new rhizomes, to help establish them to your soil. Established iris should not be watered, as this encourages rot, particularly in humid areas. I never water my iris after their first year. Since you are in Sacremento, it might be a bit different than how I grow Iris in Chicago. Perhaps someone from California can better assist you.

Carlos

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 9:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sparaxis(Vic Aust)

It really depends on what type of iris you are growing. Bearded irises of all classes will survive a severe drought without watering through summer, although some might like a little protection from severe scorching heat, particularly the dwarf beardeds, whose roots are more on the surface.
If you have rebloomers, they are unlikely to bloom in Autumn unless they have been watered during the summer.
Where I have water available, I deep water my irises with a soaker hose for 2 hours, roughly once every 3 to 4 weeks through the our long, hot summer.
If you are growing japanese, louisiana and a number of other species irises, you will need to water them copiously.
Most crested irises, spurias, Picific Coast iris, and even siberian iris if they are in slightly moist water retaining soil, will survive summer without much water.
Cheers, Jan in Aus

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
iris borers
Last year I had several iris clumps that collapsed...
auntie_grizelda
what else to plant with irises
I'm in zone 6 and I'm wondering what else to plant...
gibsongirl74_gw
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Dividing irises
How often are irises supposed to be divided? I moved...
Carla1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™