the difference between snow pea and sugar snap plants

precioushoney(5b)May 13, 2010

Okay so I planted two rows of sugar snap and two rows of snow peas on the same trellis. The trellis runs east to west and the snow peas are on the north side and the sugar snap are on the south.

So my question is how will I tell the difference between the two when its time to harvest because I don't want the snow peas to get to big right?

Are sugar snap peas flat like snow before they mature?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

No Sugar Snap peas look like shelling peas. Round pods, just more fleshy and tender. Snow peas are flat and thin. You need to pick these before the peas start showing.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 11:34AM
precioushoney(5b)

So,I keep posting replies but they arent showing up, hopefully they dont all pop up at once LOL

Before they mature will they still look like shelling peas?

I guess im just wondering if there will be a distinct diffrence while they develop?

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 3:36PM
farmerdilla

Snap peas ( Sugar Snap is one variety) are essentially shelling peas with a tender fleshy pod. They can be used at any up until the pod begins to dry. Like snap beans, as they approach maturity, they are best used as shellies. Both shelling peas and snap peas are normally used in immature stages. There is a group of peas usually referred to as soup peas, which are used as mature (dried peas)
Snow peas are grown for the immature pods and tender shoots. The actual peas have little use. These have to be picked before the peas begin to form in the pod. A pod containing peas will be tough and stringy.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 5:40PM
precioushoney(5b)

I know that snow peas have to be picked before the peas get big, and I know that Sugar snap fill out more.

What I want to know is, if a sugar snap and a snow pea were side by side while growing would there be visual cues as to which is which?

Thanks for the replys btw :)

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 7:50PM
farmerdilla

Yes the difference is so obvious tha a blind person could easily tell the difference. Paper thin flat pods versus round meaty pods. There are also obvious visual differences most of time. Snap peas have white blossoms, many snow pea varieities have purple blossoms. Snap pea vines are medium green, many snow pea cultivars have a more yellowish green vine.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 8:00PM
precioushoney(5b)

Thanks Farmerdilla! That is the answer I was looking for. I posted my first question before my coffee kicked in or else I would have realized it wasnt as clear and i would have liked it.

Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?
I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the...
beesneeds
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™