How many beans on a plant?

dianega(7 - ATL)May 17, 2010

This is a dumb newbie question, but roughly how many beans grow on each bush bean plant? I'm growing Dragon Tongue, and no idea how many I should plant. Ex. how many plants would it take to produce a good bowlful for a family of 4?

I plan on some additional plantings since I am under the impression that they bear the beans all at once.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandyman720(NJ)

Hello. I am no expert but can only reply from experience. Bush beans will produce a couple of times then when it is really hot not produce at all.

last year I planted 9 bush bean plants. I easily picked a nice sized bowl 2x a week for about 2 months.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 12:09PM
tormato

Dianega,

Dragon Tongue is one bush bean that doesn't produce all at once. For me, it keeps producing all the way until a killing frost.

I really don't know how it will do in your southern heat, so I also don't know how many plants you would need.

I hope they do well for you. If not, I recommend "Rattlesnake", a super productive pole bean, that can really take the heat.

Gary

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 12:19PM
fusion_power

Plan on planting a row about 20 feet long with 2 plants per foot to have enough beans to serve one meal per day. Wait 3 or 4 weeks and plant another row the same length. They will overlap so for a while you will have more beans than you need. Freezing is a good way to handle the excess.

DarJones

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 8:38AM
fitzefatz(6)

from own experience and a lot of reading from tests state agricultural agencies (similar to extension offices in the USA - they are run by the states here in Germany): bush bean yields are 2 to 2.5 kg per sq meter over a period of 3 or more weeks. I always grow rows 1 foot apart 3 seeds per foot, either 1 every 4 inches or in groups of 3 every foot. In 1 pdf I read that commercial growers like 34 plants per square meter, my pattern is at 33.3, so not that far away.
The 20 feet row fusion_power suggested would (with that yields) give you 8 to 10 pounds of beans over let's say 3 weeks.
A rule of thumb: pole beans give 3 times the yield on the same space as bush beans over a longer time.
There might be some higher yielding beans like sandyman's - 2 bowls a week on nine plants would my pole beans make very proud, my bush beans cannot even dream of this.
And fusion_power has the best plan: stagger bush beans, every 3 weeks another crop and there will be beans galore. And snap beans freeze so easily: blanch a few minutes, chill with water, let them cool down and into the bag they go ---> deep freeze.

good luck and a big harvest
Michael

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
RuthieG__TX
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™