Cheap, easy, homemade bean support?

alisande(Zone 4b)May 14, 2010

I've been searching the forum for ideas I can use to support my pole beans this year, but without pictures I'm lost. I guess I don't understand the terminology. For instance, if you use homemade teepees, how many saplings/branches are needed, and how do you keep them from blowing over?

We had a freeze last week, but I have the feeling everything is going to warm up quickly and all of a sudden I'll have to get the seeds in the ground. I'd like to get something in place by the end of the month if possible.

I'll be growing Kentucky Wonders (and Fortex, if I can find them).

I appreciate your help--thanks!

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdback(Z6 VA)

Hi Susan,

Did you happen to see the thread started by Jimster? It might give you some ideas.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Me Your Trellis thread

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 12:27PM
alisande(Zone 4b)

Thank you for linking me to that thread, Rick. I've been reading it, following its links, and giving this a lot of thought. The cattle panel arch looks very appealing!

Susan

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 12:25AM
alisande(Zone 4b)

I was mesmerized by all the beautiful arches, and as of this afternoon I have my very own cattle panel, bent in half with the edges temporarily tied at the bottom, plus four "U-posts," which is what the store recommended I use to anchor my arch.

I'm probably about to validate dumb-blonde jokes, but what do I do now? How does one go about setting it up? Does a post go in the ground first, and then a corner of the arch attached to it? And when we cut the ties at the bottom, will the panel stay more or less bent? (I leaned on it, so the bend is pretty distinct.) I'm surprised at how heavy the panel is. I'm thinking maybe this is a two-person job.

I can hear the jokes now......How many blondes does it take to set up a cattle panel? LOL

Your help is appreciated Ă‚thanks!!

Susan

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 9:02PM
soonergrandmom

Susan, It is a two person job so don't try to do it by yourself. If you are very strong, you might be able to handle it, but it will be much safer to work with a second person. I don't know what U posts are so I am not any help there. We did ours with short t-posts. One person held the arch in place and the other one drove two poles on the same side and wired them at the top of the post and just above the ground. Once one side was secure we bent it in and held it while the next t-post went in and were wired. We formed ours into a little different shape, a little more gothic, on the ground before starting installing it.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
My first full beans
I will be harvesting full beans for the first time...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
Pablo Tube Top Table Lamp - Pablo Designs
$135.00 | HORNE
Homelegance Vernon Upholstered Chair in Black Leather
Beyond Stores
Juno Trac-Lites PAR38 Chrome Flared Gimbal Spotlight
$27.95 | Lamps Plus
Soft Apricot Niko Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
White Hall Sand Dollar Ceramic Arch Address Plaque - 2624SE
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Mini Round Chrome Mini Pendant with Royal Cut Light Peridot Green Crystal and Ro
$150.00 | Bellacor
30 Inch Grey Oak Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Corona 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso White
$1,425.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™