Home Depot has a sale on

scarzi(z7 MD)March 16, 2005

Bought up a bunch of the #904-142 four foot shop lights for $4.48 last night!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

The overdrivable Home Depot fixtures that I have been using are 140-904 (also on sale, but over $6). Do you know if your #904-142 fixtures are overdrivable?

MM

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 12:40PM
scarzi(z7 MD)

I was trying to remember the number but got it wrong. Indeed it is your number, and they were over $6 a few weeks ago, but last night they were only $4.49 when I checked out. I did over deive the first one I got snused the T8 bulbs. I noticed them getting a little dark at the ends already. How long will they last?

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 4:47PM
lightmaster(z8 Salem, Ore.)

"I noticed them getting a little dark at the ends already. How long will they last?"

I have a feeling that they are by Philips. I never have a lot of luck with them. I can buy a package of ten and one will go out in a week. But the others will last much longer, usually four months.

I am now using Sylvania and GE from lowes for three months...none show any blackening.

-j-

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 9:59PM
sonnypippo

wow, great price. might have to pick some up for my next setup.

Bookmark   March 17, 2005 at 3:06PM
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

Hi,

Last week, on account of a tip from I think the tomato growing forum, I went to Home Depot and bought all that they had of 140-904 light bars. They were clearanced out and I got mine for $4.06.

The sales clerk said they were replacing with a diff. stock number and of course with a higher price. So, if what I heard is true you should check out H.D. before you miss out on the clearance sale.

P.S. the lights were not marked as clearance or showed any sale tags on them...when I asked they said 5 bucks and when I checked out they rang up as 4.06.

I walked out mighty happy:)))))

good luck
m

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 11:18AM
maineman(z5a ME)

Mitch,

"I went to Home Depot and bought all that they had of 140-904 light bars. They were clearanced out and I got mine for $4.06."

You did the right thing to buy them all. Our Home Depot has already cleared out the 140-904s here in the Augusta area and replaced them with 732-334 models priced at $7.98. I bought one of the new ones but haven't opened it yet to see if it is overdriveable. The new fixture may be somewhat better for plant stands, in that its reflectors don't stick out quite so far so the fixture is a bit narrower. It is also a bit deeper. I haven't determined yet whether the narrower configuration will let you get an extra fixture over a 24" x 48" shelf. I get four of the 140-904s over a shelf. It would be great if you could get five of the 732-334s over a shelf, providing, of course, that they are overdriveable.

MM

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 2:19PM
cherie_zone5

OK...color me stupid but what is "overdrivable"?

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 10:36AM
maineman(z5a ME)

Cherie,

Some fluorescent fixtures with certain electronic ballasts can be rewired to use two ballasts instead of one. That applies more power to the bulbs and they emit 50% more light, which is much brighter. Plants respond to the extra light with faster, healthier growth. I lot of people who grow plants under fluorescent fixtures are modifying their fixtures to overdrive their bulbs. A user here, Zink, introduced a lot of us to overdriving. The original message thread was so popular that it grew to the 100-message limit and has since been taken off the forum. But you can find all of the original information in links that are given in the subsequent I have found the BEST cheap flourescent ballast/fixture - cont'd. message thread, which was started to get around the 100-message limit.

I feel that I owe Zink a debt of gratitude. His overdriving information revolutionized my indoor gardening.

MM

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™