Should I leave cling wrap on under grow lights?

asclepchris(5)March 8, 2010

I'm starting succulent seeds and have the grow lights in position. I have the pots covered with cling wrap to increase humidity to speed germination. Is there a danger with the plastic being on the pots under the grow lights? I have the set-up in my greenhouse which is only about 50 degrees for highs temps now. I also am watering the seeds from below with a little water sitting in a tray. Should I forget the cling wrap?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

The cling wrap will help keep in the humidity and heat like you said, so I would keep it on. I am guessing you have shop lights or CFLs, and they don't get very warm so I would not worry about it getting to warm.

If the cling wrap is giving you more of a headache just remove it, your seeds will be fine...just take a little longer germinate. As soon as the first one germinates, get the plastic off, and crank up the light.

I have never started succulent seeds, what kind are your growing? Sounds fun and interesting! What is their mature age?

Keriann~

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 6:25AM
natasha80

i have just started some petunias undercling film. im conducting an experienment to see if they will grow any better under led light. im using a 15watt spotlight and just tucked it under my desk as the light is quite bright. i read that it needs to be on 14 to 16 hours a day. any tips would be great.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 1:52PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Succulents are tough growing from seed. Once they germinate watch the watering. Barely moist is too wet IMO.

@natasha a white LED will not do any plants much good. You need full spectrum light.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 8:57PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Remove it for an hour a day to let the pots air out, and mist the surface of the soil if it starts to dry out.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™