Growing Trees Indoors

JHruskyMarch 7, 2014

Living in Wisconsin, it's impossible to grow tropical trees unless they are indoors 6 months a year so ...

I'd like to grow miniature Orange, Lime, Lemon, Pomegranate, Coffee, etc. trees in our home during the winter months and keep them in containers all year long.

I have been quite successful starting seeds that flourish under small 2' fluorescent lights (2 per fixture, one daylight and one regular to get the complete spectrum... T8 I believe is the number).

My question is, can I do this for trees as well and, if so, is there any free-standing lighting fixture I can buy for this application? I've been unable to locate something (not sure if they make the same type of bulbs in the 'regular' light bulb fashion to screw into a socket). My goal is to keep costs down, of course, as well as operation costs.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

Yes you can, but you will need much more information to be successful. Check out the citrus forum and the fig forum. You will need info from both to be successful. The citrus forum is very active with a large core of experienced growers They can help you with all kinds of problems before they come with preventative care. They can guide you on what varieties grow best. Most citrus grow true from seed. Plus the seed are free after eating the fruit.

3 sweetlee tangerine tree from seed in front of the light box where they are grown in the basement.

Check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg101613462758.html

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
Dwarf Papaya growing and blooming under grow lights
Here are a couple pics of dwarf papaya plants that...
arctictropical
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™