when to divide oriental/asiatic lily bulbs?

jeanr(6)April 13, 2007

i have noticed that instead of one large bloom stalk coming from my bulbs, i have numerous, tiny shoots. is it time to divide the bulbs. if so, sould i do it now or after bloom?

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
niptrixbop(z5 OH)

Jeanr:

Fall and early spring are good times to divide lilies--after they have gone dormant or before they start sending shoots. Now that the shoots are showing, just fertilize them, and enjoy the flowers!

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 10:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdinthepalm

One thing i"ve learned since I do like having them growing in clumps for a better display , is that allowing them to multiply for a few years does no harm and you'll still get the extra bulbs. I guess however, after a point, they do start to crowd each other and then it may be necessary to thin them out a bit. If it's a new bulb , and not overly crowded by neighboring plants, I'd leave it alone, unless you wish to plant some elsewhere from the new ones you get.
After some reluctance by one oriental bulb in one location I moved it to another spot , where it seemed much happier and it subsequently produced about ten new bulbs before I did have to thin out the clump. A very nice show indeed that was, with up to fifty flowers open at a time! A bit overpowering smell wise however!!

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™