Tiger Lillys

edspanglerApril 2, 2013

OK, Third and final attempt at posting questions about Tiger Lillys.
I will be receiving several Tiger Lilly Bulbs soon, plan is to plant them in an old washtub,I will drill holes in the bottom for drainage. I will also add a thin layer of gravel in bottom, after that will fill with Miracle gro " Moisture Control" soil.
So.....my question is after they are in the washtub....
When, How,what do I feed them??
Any special sprays / powders to use to avoid disease, fungus etc?? Please respond by email so I can print and use advice
Thanks
ED

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark_fields(z6 MO)

Tiger Lillies are "indestructible". Last fall I knew I was selling my house and pulled several young bulbs from the patch and put them in a pot of dirt on the north side of the house. A couple weeks ago I went to move them to the new place and the pot had been turned over sometime in the winter and the bulbs were bare on top of the ground and starting to sprout!

I don't know of anything that eats them besides deer. In all my years I've never had to spray for pests.

As for feed, don't get too excited their either. Just work some compost in the soil and that is enough.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 5:34PM
ladyrose65

They multiply fast, so give them some room!

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 11:09PM
swontgirl_z5a(5a)

Tiger lilies can get red lily beetles. If you haven't had any lilies in your area before it is unlikely they will be around. But do keep a watch out for them. They will arrive, lay their eggs and the larva will eat your lilies up.
Last year was the first bad infestation I had and for some reason they were in an old patch of tiger lilies the worst. I guess that's better than in my good hybrids but I know they will find them too!
Debbie

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:36AM
gardengal48

Growing things in a container - like an old washtub - is NOT the same as growing things in the ground. First, you need to make sure you have excellent drainage - above all else, bulbs (including lily bulbs) require excellent drainage. That means lots of drainage holes in the base of the tub, NO gravel (this impedes rather aids drainage) and the MG moisture control potting soil would not be my first choice. Too fine a texture and holds way too much moisture. You want something with a much coarser, barkier texture.

Plants grown in a container using a soil-less potting mix do not have access to normal soil nutrients - the grower must provide everything! I like to use a slow release fertilizer like Osmocote when first potting up and supplement with any kind of liquid (fish emulsion, MG, Schultz, etc) during the growing season.

Don't use compost in the container. It is too heavy and too dense in texture also and will not provide sufficient nutrient value.

And we are talking about Lillium lancifolium (syn. tigrinium) here, are we not, and not what are also called ditch lilies, Hemerocallis fulva?

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Sponsored Products
Khaki Giclee Glow Tiger Bronze Club Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Safari Cheetah Giclee Glow Tiger Bronze Club Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Bronze Three-Light Wrought Iron Billiard Pendant with Tiger Glass
$567.60 | Bellacor
Barcelona Bench-Black - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Resort Tote
$138.00 | Horchow