Are the pods of shelling peas edible?

higgin704May 28, 2011

We purchased RSVPea plants from burpee, as well as sugar snap. When they started growing, I accidentally ate peas from the RSVPeas thinking they were the other. They were very tasty. When I realized they were RSVPeas, I tried to google and see if it was safe to eat. It seems there is conflicting info on the web about whether you can eat them or not with some claiming they are poisonous.

RSVPea seems to be a name exclusive to Burpee, so I am having trouble finding the correct answer to this question. Even the woman at Burpee didn't know how to answer it. I'd like to continue eating them. They are really good. But I need to know if it is safe. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

All parts of the plant Pisum sativum are edible. Palatability is a different debate. Shelling peas normally have tought stringy pods. If this one is tender enough for your taste, have at it.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 4:24PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

They are perfectly safe.

Even when fully developed and you have shelled out the peas you can make excellent soup from the pods. Because you seive the soup the fibrous nature of the pods is not a problem. There are lots of recipes for hot and cold versions if you Google 'pea pod soup'.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 1:42PM
denninmi(8a)

The main difference between an "edible" podded pea and a regular pea is a gene to make "vellum" which is the clear, tough,sort of parchment paper like inner lining of the pod. If you are so inclined, you can peel that away on a more mature pod, and also remove the "string" along the seam, and yield a much more edible product. However, its a lot simpler just to grow snow or snap peas, which lack this gene.

If you have access to a university library, you could look up the following article and learn all about the genetics of edible podded peas -- they only give the first few pages online.

No, it won't poison you -- it will just be tough to chew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Genetics of snap peas abstract

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 2:55PM
macky77(2a)

Holy cow, flora uk... I'd never heard of pea pod soup. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 4:03PM
rockguy(7a)

Only some kind of Sweet Peas, (the flowing kind) are poison, and they are a dif species.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
The Mayocoba Bean story
Have you heard of the controversy that evidently went...
ruthieg__tx
True Heirloom Romano Pole Beans
I've been ordering Romano pole beans for the past few...
fignut
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Italian Rose bush beans.
I have some italian rose beans. Can they be grown in...
Desirai
Sponsored Products
Set of 2 Eames Style DSW Molded White Plastic Dining Shell Chair with Wood Eiffe
eModern Decor
Nautilus Shell Giclee Clip-On Set of Four Shades 3x6x5
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Line Voltage 178 Track Head by WAC Lighting
$18.00 | Lumens
Sorrento Double Chaise Cover
$109.50 | FRONTGATE
Kjaerholm: PK9 Dining Chair Reproduction
Modern Classics Furniture
'Augustine' Shell Textured Antique White Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Capri Dark Granite Four Light Bath Fixture with 6-Inch Sea Shell Glass