I'm confused....?

thear(z6 KY)March 13, 2005

Everything i read says to put the light a couple inches above the seedlings (for tomatoes). But if I do this it will block a good deal of the sunlight coming in through the windows. 12 to 18 inches won't block the light. What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkirk3279(Z5 SW MI)

Try putting the lights BEHIND the plants. You'll have to mount them horizontally, but this way the plants will get the extra light without being shaded from the sun.

Bookmark   March 13, 2005 at 8:23PM
kbug(zone 7?)

i would choose the artificial light over the sun light. you keep it just above the tomatoes. if you let them grow mainly with the window light they will grow towards the window and thus cause leggy plants. the object of putting the grow lights so close to the plant is to keep it from getting leggy. which is the whole point of using grow lights anyway right?

Bookmark   March 14, 2005 at 4:55PM
bentley_on(PHZ2k 6a)

I have seen a post here about the amount of energy that is rec'd depending on how close the light is. And, as far as a laymen can tell, inches count, as in the prescribed few. Again, I save seen posts in here that the suns power far out-weighs that of lights.

Go fish.

Bookmark   March 14, 2005 at 7:22PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Direct sunlight is many times stronger than your lights, so don't block it. Don't be too worried about blocking indirect natural light, especially indoors, because the fluorescents will be more intense if you can get them very close. Ideally, use an arrangement like jkirk describes. Or look for a good reflector system so you can mount the lights further away.

Bookmark   March 14, 2005 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™