Questions on Easter and Rubrum Lillies

leepoffaith(9b)April 23, 2009

Hi Board Members!

I'm very new to the board and have a few questions on some Easter and Rubrum lillies I was just given. I am thinking of planting the Easter lillies around a knockout rose tree I have in my front yard. The tree is about 3-4 feet tall and will probably grow another foot or so. How tall will the easter lillies get? I just don't want them to overwhelm the tree. Also, how often can I expect Blooms in my zone?

As for the Rubrum lillies, how tall to they get and how often will they bloom. They smell GREAT, but I've seen they can get up to 6 feet tall so I'm debating on where to put them.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

The height of the Lilies depends greatly on the growing conditions. Even in the same garden Lilies can have different size if planted in different places. All numbers you can find in the Internet are approximate.
All Lilies bloom once a year - for 2-3 weeks, depending on how many buds they have.
Please note that in your zone they might not bloom well: Lilies need a cold period (vernalization) every winter for blooming.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 5:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

Easter lilies do fine all the way down to Jones Creek and maybe even farther. Jones Creek Texas is about 20 miles from the Gulf Coast and I have seen a lot of them there for quite a few years. They all seemed to stand 3'-4' tall and look great. Many people down this way get them as gifts during the Easter season and they just stick them inot the ground and let them go.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™