Dutch iris - Miss Saigon

nacho_mommaJuly 27, 2008

Has anyone had experience with this Iris? I searched this forum and came up with one little post without much info - same thing with google.

My neighbor gave me a box of these, would like to learn more about them.

thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irisqueen217(7b-8a TX)

I haven't heard of it. But I am discovering there are many more types of Iris than I thought. I ordered these not long ago, have them in the ground already, with new growth, and can't wait til winter!! It's an Algerian Iris, that blooms in the winter. :) Good luck finding yours, I'll post if I find anything! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/00923.html

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 12:08PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I haven't had 'Miss Saigon' but other Dutch iris naturalize in zone 9 nicely. (what zone are you? --- very important for hardy/tender bulbs) Plant them as you would other spring-blooming bulbs. Allow the foliage to age before removing --- as with other spring-blooming bulbs.

They're excellent cut for bouquets. What particularly did you want to learn?

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 7:12PM
indy76km(5 - Rumford, ME)

I am also wanting to learn more about this particular type of iris since I picked up some today. The Package only says to plant in full sun in spring and dig up in the fall. This is my first try with irises so I don't know much about them.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 7:32PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Indy,

Are you in zone 5?

I think that means Dutch iris bulbs will not withstand your winter temps. Plant per directions (usually 2 1/2 times the width is how deep to plant). When the foliage yellows, dig up and store over winter in a non-freezing place as you would with gladiolus and dahlias and replant again the following spring.

They bloom with late daffodils. That height or a bit taller. Some cultivars may have 2 blooms per stem. A google image search will show the various colors.

Any specific question?

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 10:50PM
natalie4b(7b GA)

I planted some this year for the first time - lots and lots of them (sale - love a good sale :)).
They are gorgeous! Short, and colorful, and absolutely beautiful! Since I am in zone 7b-8, they will stay put without being duged up. I am the kind of gardener who will place the bulbs in a ground, fertilize, wishes them good luck, and enjoys her life.
In your zone you might need to dig them up and store for the rest of the year. But they worth it IMO.

Good luck!

~Natalie

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™